Project Type: Education & Nutrition
Project Code: BCP1220
Background: Chalice has partnered with PENNT since 2007. In Spanish, PENNT stands for School Support Program for Working Boys and Girls.
It was born with the mandate to help low-income children and adolescents who work and/or are at risk of school dropout. Currently, it is run by an Archdiocesan Foundation created specifically for this purpose and works in a comprehensive manner within our four sub-sites in the outskirts and rural areas of Cochabamba, Bolivia. These are: Guadalupe, Condebamba, La Salette and San Carlos. A condition of sponsorship is that children must attend school; however, the quality of education is often poor. Children need extra help to achieve results that will allow them to get meaningful employment and hopefully escape the cycle of poverty.
The school support program has been funded since 2017 and is an essential resource for at-risk children in the area. The program is available to children between the ages of six and 20 years, enrolled in school and living in areas where the sub sites operate. Run each week, Monday through Friday, children receive a meal each day prepared by the parents, in coordination with the site, using a prepared monthly menu and available budget. Additionally, the site conducts workshops and training sessions with the children, adolescents, and parents of the families regarding different themes related to their daily living, such as health, hygiene, and parenting, among others. The sponsor site truly believes in the effectiveness of this program and this belief is supported by results over the past three years which show that in each year over 99% of the sponsored children successfully passed their school year grades leaving less than 1% who either failed or dropped out. More specifically, children in primary report on average a grade of 91%, compared to 75% for those who do not have this support.
Project Objectives: To provide funding, for the next three years, to continue to support the education of 750 children at risk of dropping out of school through before/after school educational activities. The school support will be provided in two shifts (morning and afternoon) and each educator will suport 25 students. The number of students per educator has been one of the adjustments compared to the previous edition of this program. This will allow for better services with more space among students. Students are divided by primary and secondary school cycles.
This three-year school support program will give the students access to homework tutoring support and reinforcement classes, sports, cultural and spiritual activities, as well as a meal to help strengthen their abilities and skills. This will be done with the participation of families and the community. The program is designed to achieve the very positive results that have been achieved in the past three years. Workshops and training sessions with the children, adolescents, and parents of the families regarding different themes related to their daily living, such as health, hygiene, and parenting, among others, will continue to be part of the program.
The cost includes 69% for salaries, 29% for nutrition, and 2% for materials.
Budget in Canadian Funds: $332,667.91
Please note that any donations that exceed the request will be used to fund other community projects/programs that may arise.