We at Chalice are closely monitoring updates on the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We are working diligently to ensure that our operations continue safely. We will continue to update all of our supporters with the most recent information we have regarding our response to COVID-19.
Current updates as of March 23, 2020:
-Our head office in Bedford, Nova Scotia, is currently closed to all visitors as a safety precaution until further notice.
-We are still open during our regular hours, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. AST, Monday to Friday. In our efforts to practice social distancing to prevent the spread of the virus, some of our staff is working remotely. We can be contacted at 1.800.776.6855 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to staff working remotely, forwarding may be delayed, but rest assured, we will work to promptly return your inquiry.
-All Parish appeals are suspended until further notice due to the Canadian government’s recommendation to limit social gatherings.
-All international staff travel is suspended until further notice.
– Our July mission to Ukraine has been postponed until 2021 (dates to be confirmed). We continue to prepare for this and our November 2020 mission to India, while remaining attentive to how the situation develops in the weeks and months ahead.
-We are working diligently to ensure that all of our programs continue to run effectively, and that all donations and funds continue to be sent to our sponsor sites in a timely manner.
Sponsored children updates
-All Kenyan schools and colleges are closed in compliance with a directive issued by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Sunday March 16. All public gatherings have also been suspended so Family Circle meetings in Kenya are on hold until further notice.
-Ghana, Kenya and Tanzania have closed their borders, imposed travel restrictions and blocked foreign entry so there can be no sponsor visits until further notice.
– Ukraine has closed its borders to all international travel. All schools are closed and there are restrictions on movement within cities and villages. All points of sale are closed with the exception of grocery stores and pharmacies. Public transportation is reduced. All employees are to work from home.
– All parent group meetings and site gatherings are suspended. Our site offices are closed with key staff accessible and working remotely. These current government directed restrictions are in place until March 30. Our sites will continue to monitor the situation and fully comply with all directives put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19.
-Haiti has closed its borders to all international travel from Europe, USA, and Canada. The border with the Dominican Republic is closed. At this time, our site offices are still open but they have implemented enhanced hygiene practices and readjusted work spaces to provide greater personal space. All parent group meetings and large site gatherings are suspended until further notice.
-Many areas have declared a state of emergency and schools are closed until further notice. Many areas have curfews and mobility restrictions. Staff who can are working from home, and some of our site offices are still open with a restricted staff.
-All of our site buildings in India are currently closed due to a government order to cease in-person operations. Most of our sites are able to received funds as normal. All schools are closed until further notice, and Family Circle meetings are suspended.
-Some of our site offices are open with limited staff. All families are given a pass to leave their homes once a day to retrieve groceries and supplies, but the country is otherwise practicing quarantining and social distancing.
What can I do to help?
At this time, we have no emergency fund set up specifically for COVID-19, but we will update you as soon as we receive word of any new developments.
Thanks to our many previously existing projects and programs regarding clean water, health, hygiene and sanitation, many of our sponsor sites have good knowledge of proper hygiene practices. You can help support these initiatives by:
- Sponsoring a child (or continuing with your regular sponsorship payments)
- Donating to our clean water fund
- Giving a health or hygiene gift through our gift catalogue
- Donating to our current Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) program in Kenya and Tanzania.
Please join us in prayer for the health and safety of our sponsored children and their families, the communities where we work, our staff and supporters around the world, and all of those affected by the virus:
“Heavenly Father, during this time of anxiety and distress, we ask for your protection for our sponsored children and elderly, our supporters, staff, volunteers, and all who are burdened in any way by this pandemic. Bless all who are now sick and bring them quickly to restoration of good health. Shield and protect all healthcare workers. Guide governments in their decisions and help them to work together to contain the disease and stop the spread. Welcome into your Kingdom all who have died and bring comfort to their families.
Most Holy Trinity, we place all our hope in you. You are our strength and our shield; in You our hearts trust; so we are helped and our hearts exult; and with our song we give thanks to You. (Psalm 28:7)”
COVID-19 informational resources:
For the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19, please visit the following websites: